Tourist and Visitor Information
Welcome! We are blessed that you are worshipping with us at the Abyssinian Baptist Church.
The Abyssinian Baptist Church values its history as a Christian institution born out of rebellion against racial discrimination, and its commitment to social justice for all. We believe that the church is a house of prayer for all people. Worship at the Abyssinian Baptist Church IS NOT A GOSPEL PERFORMANCE or entertainment of any kind. Worship is a sacred opportunity to draw closer to God through Jesus Christ. All are welcome to worship with us at The Abyssinian Baptist Church. Click here for Directions.
- Abyssinian Baptist Church is not affiliated with any third-party tour companies. Hence, there will never be a fee to worship at Abyssinian Baptist Church. Tourists are welcome at the 11:30AM worship service. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, tourists cannot be admitted to the 9:00AM Worship Service.
- Based on available Sanctuary seating, tourists will be admitted to the 11:30AM Worship Service on a first-come, first-served basis. However, tourists will not be admitted to the 11:30AM Worship Service on the following days:
New Year’s Day
Women’s Day – 2nd Sunday in March
Homecoming – 2nd Sunday in September
Men’s Day – 2nd Sunday in October
- In order to minimize disruptions, we expect visitors to remain in the Abyssinian Sanctuary until the end of the Worship Service.
- Tourists wearing tank tops, flip-flops, shorts or leggings will not be allowed to enter the Abyssinian Sanctuary. Women and men are required to cover their shoulders upon entering the church.
- Due to the high volume of tourists, tourists must proceed to the “Tourist Entry Point” located on the Southeast corner of West 138th Street and Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Blvd. for entry into Abyssinian Baptist Church. Admittance is not guaranteed.
- Note that the “Tourist Entry Point” is an outdoor location. Tourists should be prepared to stand for a significant period of time and tolerate inclement weather.
- Backpacks are not permitted inside the Abyssinian Sanctuary. Unfortunately, we cannot provide baggage-check services.
Reserved Group Seating
- Seating is reserved for school and church groups, and/or family reunions of ten (10) or more only.
- To request Reserved Group Seating, a group representative must contact Abyssinian at 212-862-7474 ext. 216 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least two (2) weeks prior to your visit.
- Based on available Sanctuary seating, a Confirmation Letter will be sent to your group/organization. On the day of your visit, once your entire group has arrived at the church, this Letter must be presented to an Abyssinian usher/representative who will ensure your timely seating.
- Groups which have confirmed Reserved Group Seating should not proceed to the “Tourist Entry Point.” Instead, proceed to the church lobby.
Summer Worship Schedule
- For the month of August, and the first Sunday in September, our Sunday Worship Service will take place at 10:00 AM. As a result, we are suspending our tourist visitation during that period. However, please feel free to join us at our Mid-week Manna services on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 PM.
- Tourists will not be admitted to the 11:30 AM Worship Service on Homecoming Sunday, September 14th. We will resume our regular visitation policy on Sunday, September 21st.
For more information, contact Abyssinian at email@example.com or call 212-862-7474 ext. 216.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is there any possibility that my group can be accommodated at the 9 am Worship Service?
No. We can only accommodate tourists at the 11:30AM Worship Service.
Is there a Dress Code?
Yes. Worship is sacred. Tourists wearing tank tops, flip-flops, shorts or leggings will not be allowed to enter the Abyssinian Sanctuary. Women and men are required to cover their shoulders upon entering the church.
Can tourist groups of less than ten (10) people request Reserved Group Seating?
No. Only school/church groups and/or family reunions of ten (10) or more may request Reserved Group Seating. Proof of your affiliation will be requested.
What if my group of ten (10) or more does not request Reserved Group Seating two weeks in advance?
Your group is welcome to proceed to the “Tourist Entry Point” located on the Southeast corner of West 138th Street and Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Blvd. for entry into the Abyssinian Baptist Church. Admittance and group seating is not guaranteed.
How long does the 11:30AM Worship Service last?
Tourists should plan to be in worship for approximately 2 ½ hours. Once seated in the Sanctuary, tourists are expected to remain until worship has concluded.
Are photos and audio/video recordings allowed?
No. Worship is sacred in the Abyssinian community. Photos and audio/video recordings are not permitted in the Sanctuary. However, CDs of sermons can be purchased in the Abyssinian bookstore.
Can I bring a backpack into the Worship Service?
No. Backpacks are not permitted inside the Abyssinian Sanctuary. Unfortunately, we cannot provide baggage-check services.
What if I have additional questions or concerns?
Contact Abyssinian at 212-862-7474 ext. 216 or firstname.lastname@example.org.